A typical work or school day can be hectic and stressful in terms of making different decisions and staying focused on the task in hand. Do you ever find yourself daydreaming about the vacation in Hawaii or about winning the lottery?
Well I think we all do, which is why this article is written to help us become more productive, and learning these tips will make our daily lives easier in terms of productivity and concentration, so here are 7 ways to be more productive.
- Having Ear buds on can be a great way to stay focused when your surroundings are loud and distracting. Listening to music can isolate you from the outside world, and relax your mind to help you stay focused on the task in hand. Earbuds with a microphone can be very beneficial as well because you can answer calls while still doing work.
- The road of 1000 miles always starts with a single step. Starting a task makes it very easy to finish it, but the hard part is actually taking that first step. Use the 2 minute rule where you say you’re only spending 2 minutes on the task, but once you have started on it, most likely you are going to complete it. Ever since I started using the 2 minute rule, my life has changed, and I am finding myself getting tasks done with very little effort.
- Multitasking is not a very possible concept, although some people claim that they are very good at it. Our brain cannot be focused on two things at once. When we multitask, the brain is switching from one task to another very quickly, which is most likely hurting the productivity of the individual than actually benefiting it.
- Doing small tasks such as checking social media (Facebook, Instagram..) can trick our brains into thinking that we have accomplished something beneficial. In reality, this is disturbing our thought process, making us less productive, and we start to wander more and lose ideas.
- Shorter and more focused bursts of work will not dilute your energy, hence you will be more productive and the quality of your work will be your best. Putting ourselves into situations where we are spending endless amount of time on one task will not keep us focused and it will deplete our will power.
- Having to do list is a great way to stay productive. Knowing your goals for the day will keep you on your toes, and more focused because you are aware of the tasks you need to get done with and you are making sure you’re not wasting time.
- Sleeping is critical if you want to have a productive day, because it allows you to recharge and enable ideas to materialize in your head, it also help reactivate and reorganize recently learned material which would help improve memory and boost performance.